America's Lady of Supernatural Thrillers

“Raven's Cove, a great mystery by Mary Ann Poll. Avoid it when winds are gusting to hurricane speed outside. No extra creepiness needed.”
~Bonnye Matthews
Step aside Stephen King, Alaska’s Mary Ann Poll is here to spin new tales of the super-natural and the ungodly, as her heroes and heroines take on the forces of evil on 'The Last Frontier.' ~Jeff Babcock

Buy from Amazon
Buy Signed Copies from Mary Ann
Buy from Barnes & Noble

Every Day is a Writing Day-Self-Doubters Find Hope

I am the first to admit that I don't always sit down and write.  No matter what I'm doing, though, I'm always creating.  This reality took a very long time for me to reconcile.

I am not always the fastest speed boat in the lake, but I am among the most tenacious.  So, in spite of the fact that I used beat myself up anytime I wasn't sitting at the keyboard, pounding out those picture words, or I did not daily and routinely outline or create new and exciting characters, I persisted in my quest.   My question to myself was always, "If I don't do these things, why do I think I am called to write?" Well, after much self-deprecation and self-doubt (we are talking in years here), I told my internal critique to, "take a hike!" That was the most freeing writing experience I ever had.

I then 'gave myself permission' to believe I am a writer. A good writer or a bad one, I AM a writer. This became a mantra for a while.  When I mustered the courage to sit down and pound out the story, I was surprised. Over the course of two and a half weeks, it came out.  I wrote, and never looked back, until I typed 'The End." That is how Ravens Cove came to be.  So, I now understand that creative writing (for this writer and probably many others) is a dual process – 90% of which is thinking.  Putting coherent thoughts on paper is the other 10%.

There ialso something to be said for disciplined writing.  How would I have gotten a book published without it? But, l'll leave that thought for tomorrow…..Until then, write on – it's worth it.

This entry was posted in Christian Fiction, Creepy Supernatural Fiction, Inspirational and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *